We're here to help
Have any questions not listed below? Contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does it take to string a racquet? Typically a racquet takes 30 minutes to string once it’s on the machine. However, depending on when it is entered in the system will determine when the racquet will be completed.
- Who strings the racquets? The Merchant of Tennis Stringing Team consists of seven USPTA certified Master Racquet Technicians (MRTs) and their apprentices. The MRT certification recognizes racquet sports retailing and service professionals who demonstrate superior technical competence and product knowledge in racquet sports. Our dynamic team have provided unsurpassed stringing service for Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova and many other touring professionals. We are proud to offer this excellent service to our clients everyday.
- Do any of your racquets come strung? At Merchant of Tennis our goal is to find the right racquet, and strings, that match your playing needs and style. Although most of our racquets come unstrung, to allow for greater customization, we do offer some racquets factory strung.
- How much does it cost to string a racquet? Your total stringing cost includes the cost of strings plus the cost of labour. The cost of strings depends on the type of strings you select. Strings range in price from $10-$65 plus tax. Labour is $24 plus tax (badminton racquet labour is $29 + tax). Should you bring in your own strings, you will only be charged the labour fee.
- Is the cost of stringing included with the purchase of a new racquet? The price of the racquet frame does not include the price of stringing. We maintain that your strings are just as important as your racquet - both need to match your playing needs and style. Therefore we offer a custom stringing solution and expert stringing service as an added cost with the purchase of a new racquet.
- How do I know what tension to string my racquet with? Every racquet contains a brand-recommended stringing tension range. For example, 50 – 60 lbs.
- If you are looking for more control, string your racquet at the higher end of the range; e.g. 60 lbs.
- If you are looking for more power, string your racquet at the lower end of the range; e.g. 50 lbs.
- If you do not have any specific requirements, or are looking for the best of both worlds, string your racquet in the middle of the range; e.g. 55 lbs.
- Typically you can find this range listed with all of the other racquet’s specifications.
- Do you offer a racquet demo program? Merchant of Tennis offers a demo service for all in-line tennis racquets. You may take up to two racquets at a time for 5 days (in-store) and 7 days (online). For more information please check visit our Demo Service Page.
- What happens if I can’t bring my demo racquet back during normal retail hours? At the Toronto location, you may use our Racquet Drop Off Slot at our back door, accessed via the back alleyway. This service is not currently available in Oakville.
- Can I bring in my racquet for re-gripping? Yes, you can bring in your racquet at any time to take advantage of our professional re-gripping service. One of our in-store experts will re-grip your racquet on the spot. We charge for the cost of the grip but not for installation.
- How do I determine my grip size? Please click here for a full explanation.
- Should my child be using a junior-sized racquet? Please click here for a full explanation.
- How do I know if my child needs a new junior racquet? Please click here for a full explanation.
- Do you customize racquets? We offer a full racquet diagnostic and customization service. Based on your needs, we will assess your current racquet and offer recommendations. There are a number of different ways to customize your tennis racquet, including: weight, balance, swing weight and grip size. For more information about our Racquet Customization Services please click here.
- If I play with my shoes, and don’t like them, can I return them? We can only refund or exchange shoes if they are in the same condition as they were sold in. Therefore, we cannot accept shoes that have been worn on the court. We recommend you test your your new shoes in your home to ensure an adequate fit and feel. If you have any questions, please contact us. - For our full Return Policy, please click here.
- Why shouldn't my child use running shoes to play tennis? Please click here for a full explanation.
- My club requires non-marking shoes, do you carry those? All of our tennis and indoor shoes have non-marking outsoles.
- I play on clay court, what type of shoe do I need? Please click here for a full explanation.
- How long do tennis balls last? If the ball can remains sealed, and is stored at room temperature, they can last for upwards of a year. Once the seal is broken, the tennis balls’ shelf life significantly decreases; to what degree is hard to estimate. It depends on a number of different factors: times used, court surface and storage conditions.
- What’s the difference between Regular and Extra Duty tennis balls? Please click here for a full explanation.
- How long does it take to receive my online order? The length of time for delivery depends on your location and the shipping method you select. Please click here for estimated delivery times.
- How much does it cost to ship my online order? Shipping rates are calculated by shipping method chosen, weight of order and destination. You may qualify for our free shipping promotion. Click here for more details.
- Do you offer in-store pick-up with online purchases? In addition to the three different shipping options, we also offer an In-Store Pick-Up service. Upon checking out, select the “in-store pick-up” shipping option. Once your order arrives at your desired retail location, you’ll receive an email to know when to pick it up.
- Can I return an online order? For a full explanation of our Returns Policy please click here.
- What is your returns, refunds and exchange policy? For a full explanation of our Returns Policy please click here.
- Why isn't my credit card being accepted? It's important that your billing address match exactly what is reported on your credit card statement. This includes hyphens, periods, middle initials, unit and apartment numbers - or any other spaces and symbols used on the statement. Be sure to also make sure your billing phone number is also the same one registered to your card.
- Why do I have a hold on my credit card? For any transaction that is declined our system immediately sends an automated authorization reversal request to the issuing bank. However, not all banks support this request.Therefore the authorizations will reverse within the bank's default time period. To speed up the reversal process, please contact your bank directly. Please note if you incorrectly entered your credit card number and/or billing address this authorization reversal request may apply to you.
- How late are you open? View our location-based hours - click here. We do alter our hours during the holiday season. Please see the Holiday Hours page during the relevant time period. Click here for more details.
- How many retail locations do you have? We offer two Ontario-based retail locations. One in Toronto (1621 Bayview Ave.) and the other is in Oakville (361 Cornwall Ave.) Click here to see more details.
- If I do not see my size online would you have it in-store? Web quantity is based on our overall quantity. Therefore, if you do not see a size online we likely will not have it at store locations.
- Are all of your products online also available in-store? Most products are available in-store and online. However, products denoted by “Online Only” are only available for purchase through our website.
- What happens if I come into one of your retail stores and you don’t have a product in-stock? We would recommend calling your closest retail location beforehand to ensure the product you are looking for is in-stock. If it’s not available at that location, but is available at another retail location or our warehouse, we can arrange to have it transferred for you, at no cost. Transfers typically occur a few times a week.
- Do you put items on hold in-store? We offer a one-day in-store hold on all products.
- When is your next sale? All major sales and promotions will be communicated to our clients via email and social media, prior to the event. Click to join our email list, or to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Are our stores Accessible? Our goal is to provide an accessible environment for all customers and staff.
If you have any further questions, please contact us!